Have more questions? We have answers! Read our FAQ or contact us for any additional information Continue Reading
The Brakeman’s house is probably the original plane tender’s house for Plane 9 West.
The two-family Plane Tender’s House was built around 1850 for the plane tender and his family as well as another canal employee.
Canal boats were loaded on and off of cradle cars that carried the boats on rails up the inclined plane.
The tailrace carried water exhausted from the turbine down to the bottom of the inclined plane.
At the top of the turbine chamber there was a large wooden structure known as the Power House.